Oh no! Where's the JavaScript?
Your Web browser does not have JavaScript enabled or does not support JavaScript. Please enable JavaScript on your Web browser to properly view this Web site, or upgrade to a Web browser that does support JavaScript.
Sign In
Not a member yet? Click here to register.

Charset & Collation: UTF-8, ujis_japanese_ci

My site is English, but I have a Japanese glossary of terms as well as the occasional Japanese characters in the forums. So, I want it to be a bi-lingual site, English and Japanese.

The other day, I had backed up my SQL terms and restored it to another site in the glossary. The characters came out garbled [ zenkoshu - 前戸主 ] it had no characters nor the unicode for those characters.

I went into phpMyAdmin and set the MySQL connection collation to: ujis_japanese_ci and it's not garbled anymore, after correcting it, and it's using the unicode for those characters [zenkoshu - 前戸主 ]

Will my back ups be okay by setting phpMyAdmin with the collation ujis_japanese_ci or do I need to add/change something in my PHP-Fusion files such as the charset [utf-8]?

Should my charset be changed to a Japanese charset [x-sjis] or keep it as it is? [there is another site using this charset x-sjis, and it's bi-lingual]

What is the TABLES charset?

Thanks
Now if you'll save you database as utf-8 and restore it, it should work in the future. Make a test on a diferent database and see if it works
okay, I saved the file and tested it on another database.

It restored the characters in my glossary [Terms Infusion v1.00 by Muscapaul] correctly, but the characters in my forums and forum subject tile came out with a ??.

I tried changing the charset utf-8 in my locale/english to x-sjis, but that didn't work, it changed all the characters to a different character....

How do I change my charset in my locale?? I need to change my locale charset x-jis. does anyone know?

Either that or can I just replace this .$locale['charset']. in the php fusion files with the x-jis charset?
the charset is set in locale/language/global.php
All that I get is questionmarks

Is there a setup for Japanaese that you know of. I have it set to x-sjis but it still only give me question marks. What charset should I have set for my sql server???
Thread Information
Author
Replies
6 posts
Views
2,700 times
Last Post
Last updated on 12 years ago
You can view all discussion threads in this forum.
You can start a new discussion thread in this forum.
You cannot reply in this discussion thread.
You cannot start on a poll in this forum.
You cannot upload attachments in this forum.
You cannot download attachments in this forum.