Oh no! Where's the JavaScript?
Your Web browser does not have JavaScript enabled or does not support JavaScript. Please enable JavaScript on your Web browser to properly view this Web site, or upgrade to a Web browser that does support JavaScript.
Sign In
Not a member yet? Click here to register.

How is this made?

Print Track
How have they made so all members can activate or inactivate panels in "edit profile" and when the activate them they came on the frontpage?

Here are the box where you do it (its in the bottom of "Edit_profile"):
img181.imageshack.us/img181/7326/33799451av9.gif

Here i have activate one:
img227.imageshack.us/img227/2179/27253798xw2.gif

Here is it in action:
img356.imageshack.us/img356/6620/44821163rr1.gif

O.B.S i have translated the most of the tekst on the pictures from danish to english.

41 replies

It looks like the site you're referring to is a v7 site. And I think it's a custom made mod or infusion. Better ask them for they may consider releasing it to the public?
The simplest and most logical way is that they added a field to the table that the panels are saved in, and it is the user_id. This way no matter what user you are, you have more customization power.
Well... If I'm not wrong that can be easily done without mods in v7. The new core allows custom user fields to be created from the admin panel and that's about everything needed to store a member's preference inside the database.

The "v6 alternative" without mods would be to store those preferences inside a cookie. However, I wouldn't recommend the cookie version. It would need a lot of security checks before displaying anything.

kneekoo wrote:
I would recommend the cookie version. It would need a lot of security checks before displaying anything.

Really? I'd say the database. Modding it wouldn't be (very) hard, if you have a bit of experience with SQL. And it wouldn't require nearly as much error checking as cookies. Also, if you wanted the settings to save, you'd have to make something that would set the cookie with the old settings, which would require either referring to a database or a file, which leads back to the cookie being unnecessary and extra work, because you'd have to use more security precations. (If I'm thinking on the wrong track compared to what you're thinking, please tell me.)

And if you use the database idea (my first post in this thread), it can be easily edited via the database, and it wouldn't be that hard to add it into the admin panel (or as an infusion). It's the simplest solution, and probably the most secure.
Oh, and you'd have to disable the option to disable the user_info_panel and navigation, but not necessarily moving them around.
@gregersen - why dont you ask the danish site? Its a modification of the profile and forumpanel specially made for danish users - maybe ask the question on that site.

googlebot wrote:

kneekoo wrote:
I would recommend the cookie version. It would need a lot of security checks before displaying anything.

Really? I'd say the database...

Yes, sorry. I meant I wouldn't recommend the cookie version. I even said it would require extra checks. :P It was early in the morning for me (5 AM) and I accidentally missed the negation. :P

Kristian Thorsen wrote:
@gregersen - why dont you ask the danish site? Its a modification of the profile and forumpanel specially made for danish users - maybe ask the question on that site.
It seems you don't understand Affero license, and it is bad example of the one PHP Fusion local official team to those who will create and share theirs code for v7 in future.

Excatly thing why I stoped publish v7 mods and infusions. I was not ready to share some of the my stuffs, least not for free, so I stoped all that for v7.

In v7, under Affero license, it is something like in communism, nobody own anything, everybody own everything and in command is central commitie. If members of the central commitie don't respect theirs own rules, than people will also not respect them. So central commitie must give positive example to people, so people will respect party rules.

So in v7, under Affero license it don't exist "specially made for danish users", no, they have to share it with all community, if they installed on theirs site, they have to share it in original version like they have, with all others, so under Affero license, people cannot ask how they do this, they need to demand that thing in download section in original version.

Of course, I don't want this thing, even if is in theirs download section.

:)
Jock, it wasn't a Danish official the one who said that component won't be made public to everyone. And making something special for someone doesn't mean you can't or won't share it with everyone else.

The whole point with Affero license is that is a derivate GNU GPL license that it allows people to ask money for the work involved while keeping everything in the public - which is really important for open source projects. In my opinion, the GNU Affero license is much better because it brings open source at a higher level. This way people will be able to exchange information, knowledge and the ones who really make use of this license will be the first to improve their software and knowledge because all form of exchange is vital in open source. That's why it's called that way - open.

I do understand the need to keep code under the rug, especially when you worked really hard on some piece of code when the internet wasn't enough - it happens sometimes. But then, think about the other developers who want your solution. Would they be grateful to you if you would share the code? YES. Would you be grateful if someone would pass you some code to pull you out of a critical issue or a key feature you need but not yet able to code? I'm sure you would.

That's all about it. So calling this "communism" is actually wrong. It's a very liberal and productive type of license. I wouldn't worry about it. :)
All coins have two sides.
While we have already stated that AGPL was not introduced to hunt people for their work.
We will not chase and force people to share codes they do not wanto share for their own personal use because of this license, however it does give better protection to PHP-Fusion and to everyone else shareing their code and it also opens a window to get paied for your work.
I dont understand some of your arguments.
You do not wanto people to have your work.
If you decpite this have a moment of willingness to share , you would sell it.
So once you sold your first copy of GPL based code i can only wish you good luck in keeping it intact and protected under that license.

When all is said and done, allmost all work around and to and for PHP-Fusion is based on opensource.
If that is so bad to you , You should really ask your self what you are doing.
@Jock - I didnt make it, but the code hasn't been released and it was made for version 6... so dont judge me - im just a user on the site. But I think its dumb. that Gregersen ask here, when the administrator on the danish site has made it, and gregersen are dane...

So im just the messenger - dont shoot me...

Excatly thing why I stoped publish v7 mods and infusions.
I was not ready to share some of the my stuffs, least not
for free, so I stoped all that for v7.

Well, if I may ask, under which license did you publish things
before AGPL then? What kind of Infusions/Themes have you published?

And, what do you have against sharing whatever you have invented? You don't
mind at all that we share all of PHP-Fusion with you, but you call us
communists because we want to protect Open Source?

AGPL does have a stronger protection of Open Source than our previous
license, which is why we have choosen it. We got sick and tired of people
sharing our product from us and not even keeping our copyright intact.

The good thing with AGPL is that it does provide a better protection from
coderippers who takes our code, sometimes claiming it to be their own work even.
Under AGPL they must publish changes they have done and that is not communism, that
is actually for the benefit of the whole Open Source movement, since it mean that if you
wanna share our product, you must share to back to the community if you do modifications
and that way Open Source gets stronger.

Then again, some people just want us to share our stuff without sharing back...

Anyway, as kneekoo puts it, this takes Open Source to a higher level.

Also, do remember the forum rules here, stay on topic. You may complain as much
as you like about AGPL, but then you create a thread with that content, don't
complain in every thread off topic the way you do. This is not the first time you have done
this, you are hereby warned for repeatedly off topic postings.

We can debate AGPL, but keep on track and make proper threads for it.

KEFF wrote:

Excatly thing why I stoped publish v7 mods and infusions.
I was not ready to share some of the my stuffs, least not
for free, so I stoped all that for v7.

Well, if I may ask, under which license did you publish things
before AGPL then? What kind of Infusions/Themes have you published?

And, what do you have against sharing whatever you have invented? You don't
mind at all that we share all of PHP-Fusion with you, but you call us
communists because we want to protect Open Source?

AGPL does have a stronger protection of Open Source than our previous
license, which is why we have choosen it. We got sick and tired of people
sharing our product from us and not even keeping our copyright intact.

The good thing with AGPL is that it does provide a better protection from
coderippers who takes our code, sometimes claiming it to be their own work even.
Under AGPL they must publish changes they have done and that is not communism, that
is actually for the benefit of the whole Open Source movement, since it mean that if you
wanna share our product, you must share to back to the community if you do modifications
and that way Open Source gets stronger.

Then again, some people just want us to share our stuff without sharing back...

Anyway, as kneekoo puts it, this takes Open Source to a higher level.

Also, do remember the forum rules here, stay on topic. You may complain as much
as you like about AGPL, but then you create a thread with that content, don't
complain in every thread off topic the way you do. This is not the first time you have done
this, you are hereby warned for repeatedly off topic postings.

We can debate AGPL, but keep on track and make proper threads for it.
Sorry guys becouase I was telling my opinion, please don't cut me off from party, I need party. It is joke. :)

KEFF you are wrong if you think that community will be stronger with Affero.

About my sharing, you cannot judge me on that way, as we speak I share things for V6 for free, what I am able and what I want to share, also I support members of the community for all that on my forum for free, so I think that I "payed back" to community becouase I downloaded v6 core files, even if I don't needed that, that was my free decision to share and I don't gain anything from that. So I think that enough speak about me and sharing.

About v7, I published for free all that, until I had v7 site, when I shut down that site and I did that becouase Affero, and becouase I don't like any kind of the force, v7 infusions and mods were removed from my download.
For rest I don't know. I had few times asked here some technical questions, almost 90% if not more are not answered not even tried to be answered, when I moded my showcase forum, I opened here thread about that, someone shut down that thread, even it was just showcase, but I was not complained about that, it is not my site, I cannot change it, I was even go further and deleted my site logo from my signature here, after that. So I don't think that I own anybody here anything. I took something from community, I returned something to community, I gave full credit to owner of all this on my site and that is it. So I think it is fair. We must all do something like that of course, but that must be our decision, not becouase some license force us to do something like that.

So what I share with community? Go to my download section and check there, everything is free, and I offered that not becouase some license told me to do so, but becouase I want that, and on oposite side, I removed all v7 infusions and mods from my download section, plus I shut down my V7 site, plus I will not publish anything more for v7, becouase license excatly force me on that if I have v7 site and installed all those stuffs there. So when license don't force me to share, I will share, when license force me to share, I will not share.

Sorry guys becouase I turned this thread a litle bit in another direction, it want happiend again, actualy I think that I will retire my nick here for some time. It is too much arogancy in central commitie for my taste. I don't need answer.
Cheers!
OFF-TOPIC but still... need to say this

So when license don't force me to share, I will share, when license force me to share, I will not share

AGPL In my opinion:
-Any work based on work by others (like when you mod core files) should never stay your own, as it is based on work by others

-Your own work (infusions and stuff) does not have to be made public since you are the only one who has put time and effort into it (even when it is an infusion that won't work without PF).

That's how I look at it and that's how I like it
FYI and AFAIK: If an infusion does not require the modification of any core files, then it's a stand alone script enhancing the functionality of PHP-Fusion without modifying it. You can release it under whatever license you want and even sell it.

muscapaul wrote:
FYI and AFAIK: If an infusion does not require the modification of any core files, then it's a stand alone script enhancing the functionality of PHP-Fusion without modifying it. You can release it under whatever license you want and even sell it.

So you can make infusions and sell them, but if you edit a file like news.php or profile.php etc, you can't sell it? And if it is a modification to news.php, profile.php, etc, do you have to release it to the public?

kneekoo wrote:
Well... If I'm not wrong that can be easily done without mods in v7. The new core allows custom user fields to be created from the admin panel and that's about everything needed to store a member's preference inside the database.

The "v6 alternative" without mods would be to store those preferences inside a cookie. However, I wouldn't recommend the cookie version. It would need a lot of security checks before displaying anything.

I have V7 and i can creat new user field via the admin panel.I have to wait for the full version of V7 to have it?

googlebot wrote:

muscapaul wrote:

So you can make infusions and sell them, but if you edit a file like news.php or profile.php etc, you can't sell it? And if it is a modification to news.php, profile.php, etc, do you have to release it to the public?
Strictly speaking, yes, because you modify part of the code that has been released under AGPL, but I don't think anyone will crucify you if you don't make a small modification public as long as it is not included in something you release under another license or that you sell. So, if you decide to have the user's location displayed in the footer of a news item, you may have modifed the code but it will not be considered a capital offence if you do not publish it. It will be pareciated if you do, though. ;)

NL_LINK wrote:

kneekoo wrote:

I have V7 and i can creat new user field via the admin panel.I have to wait for the full version of V7 to have it?
You can create user fields in the RC2 version. There are not bound to be any large changes to the system (if any changes at all). Just as long as you do not run an (upgrade) script that wipes the data you may have created earlier.

KEFF you are wrong if you think that community will be stronger with Affero.

I may be wrong, I may be right. I have no crystal ball to predict the future, but I do know that some really big projects are thinking about moving to AGPL, such as the development environment for Ubuntu, Launchpad.net.

And Funambole, Wikidot etc already have migrated to AGPL. I cannot think that Open Source community as such will be weaker with AGPL than the case was with GPL. GPL sadly opened up a lot for dishonest people who liked to rip off peoples work.

About my sharing, you cannot judge me on that way, as we speak I share things for V6 for free, what I am able and what I want to share, also I support members of the community for all that on my forum for free, so I think that I "payed back" to community becouase I downloaded v6 core files, even if I don't needed that, that was my free decision to share and I don't gain anything from that. So I think that enough speak about me and sharing.

I do not judge you, I'm trying to understand where you come from in this debate. AGPL is as much of an OS license as GPL, why all the problems now?

About v7, I published for free all that, until I had v7 site, when I shut down that site and I did that becouase Affero, and becouase I don't like any kind of the force, v7 infusions and mods were removed from my download.

It is sad that you decided to remove your Infusions because of AGPL, to be honest, I find that a bit strange. If they were available for download under GPL, that meant that everybody could see the source code anyway, so I honestly don't see why AGPL did such a drastic change that you removed them. In my book it seems a bit like some sort of overreaction from your part.

So I don't think that I own anybody here anything. I took something from community, I returned something to community, I gave full credit to owner of all this on my site and that is it. So I think it is fair. We must all do something like that of course, but that must be our decision, not becouase some license force us to do something like that.

I agree with you, to a certain extent. In a perfect world we would not have the need for licenses at all. I don't doubt that you, or the majority of our loyal users, have followed the GPL license pretty well. But there has been some really serious exceptions.

We have had companies that took PHP-Fusion, modified it and even sold it as their own product. And I think that you fully understand that such a thing is very frustrating, especially since the licenses have been very weak in protecting the rights of the copyright holder.

And it's with things like that in mind that we have decided to use AGPL, not to force every single ordinary user with every minor modification to release their material. We would like protection from the really bad guys who steal all of it and then claim it's theirs. Sadly there is no license that catches big fish and let the small ones out. We will never be able to find a license that suits all. We have had extensive debates about GPL as well.

It is too much arogancy in central commitie for my taste. I don't need answer.

I'm sorry if I made you feel like I'm an arrogant person, I'm not. I just don't like the words that you use when you describe your feelings in this matter, you use words like "communism" and "central committe", good old communist vocabulary and I object to that. We have a Management Team, four members from four different countries on two different continents, our servers are located in the US, I really don't see the need for you to compare us with communism.
And back to topic:

The MOD is made by the Danish SuperAdmin PMM aka Christian.
He made it for v6, and has since upgraded it to v7.

The script was made, for making examples of how you can use PHP-Fusion, and was not intended to be released.

If you have any questions about the mod, please contact PMM. :)
author gregersen
forumOfficial Core Support - 6
replies42 posts
viewed16,279 times
activeLast updated on 10 years ago
You can view all discussion threads in this forum.
You can start a new discussion thread in this forum.
You cannot reply in this discussion thread.
You cannot start on a poll in this forum.
You cannot upload attachments in this forum.
You cannot download attachments in this forum.