Oh no! Where's the JavaScript?
Your Web browser does not have JavaScript enabled or does not support JavaScript. Please enable JavaScript on your Web browser to properly view this Web site, or upgrade to a Web browser that does support JavaScript.
Sign In
Not a member yet? Click here to register.

Limited html formatting in articles? & image problems

I just (and finally) got Fusion 7.00.... up and running on one of my sites. However, I'm realizing that a lot of my html formatting is not working. I use BBedit to code my articles, then cut and paste these files into the article boxes. In previous versions, this has worked well. Now, I'm finding that certain codes are not working, such as font size. If I use heading tags, they have no effect. If I use font size tags, they do not work. However, other font tags seem to work (color, bold, italic, etc.). This could be a severe limitation of the new version. Any ideas?

Also, when I used my back-up to re-establish my site, it jumbled article categories, lost images for the photo albums (even though the original photos were in place), and lost image connections, even though the name and URL are correct. Any ideas?

Thanks.
hmm,

bbedit = bbcodes right?

Did you look at the bbcodes in the system admin menu in the admin section? You might not have enabled those BBcodes. You have to enable them to get them shown.
I've checked all of the relevant BBCodes. I couldn't find anything on the MOD site. As I'm finding out, it's more than just the font size and heading tags. It also doesn't recognize blockquote tags, paragraph tags, etc. This is pretty basic stuff. Why is 7.00 a step backwards from 6***? So far, I'm not very impressed with 7.00. It seems like more glitz and less substance, but maybe I'm missing something....

I loved versions of 6. It did everything I wanted it to do. Now, I'm wondering why I made the move. I'm even wondering whether I should change programs altogether. I've been encouraging a number of people to use Fusion, but I'm really hesitant now.
:(
The problem with html tags seems to be theme-dependent. They don't work in Phos and some others, but seem to work in Gillette.

However, for more problems. When I moved to 7.00*, I lost all links to my photo gallery files. I've been re-doing them. I've got three albums up. Everything looked fine, then the photos disappeared. The thumbnails are there, but not the photos, just a question mark. I "copied" the photo link (with a right click), but what it copied was "javascript:;".

At this point, my move to 7.00.* has been a nightmare and has taken up over 20 hours of my time, which I really can't afford.
I've managed to figure out almost all of the problems. However, 7.00 has really placed limitations on the flexibility of this program. I'm not upgrading my other sites!:)
Jeff,

What kind of tags are you putting in.

Can you give us a line of code as an example? or several lines?
I understand that you are frustrated, but is it possible that you can be a bit more specific and provide us with a URL to the site in question? I checked the photogallery of the site specified in your profile - http://jan.ucc.nau.edu/jwb2/photogall...allery.php - which looks very neat. I did not notice any problems. Also, please consider using TinyMCE for formatting of news items and articles, which you can simply activate using the options in the admin panel - more specificly, miscellaneous settings. Please refer to the handbook for further details.

Thanks in advance!
It takes time to get aquainted and adjusted to a new product and I disagree that v 7 should be a step in the wrong direction. We've implemented a lot of changes for the better in this new version and we intend on adding more as we go along, we're in a constant stage of development.

For an overview of what's been done please check out the following link:

http://www.php-fusion.co.uk/infusions.../index.php

Expand all of the branches in there and you'll see that we have adressed quite a lot of things, security first and foremost.
i agree with KEFF !! ver7 is by far more advance and has better features then ver6.
The features may be more advanced, but it seems that the glitches are more numerous. It's critically important that the "features" don't obscure the user. There is no reason that some themes block formatting. There should be transparent "rules" for use of photographs. At this point, it's a guessing game. I increased the sizes of photos in the admin panel and all photos that had been displayed stopped being displayed. These sorts of things need to be fixed.

The features are fine, once you waste considerable time figuring out what is going on.
Themes can be created by anybody, i guess some people dont use that much HTML so they dont realize their theme doesnt support it, or the developer of this theme doesnt use it and doesnt pay attention to weather or not html is enabled.

For now might i suggest you use another THEME or submit a request at the Themes : http://themes.php-fusion.co.uk/

The features may be more advanced, but it seems that the glitches are more numerous. It's critically important that the "features" don't obscure the user.

Most features, if not all, have been developed with the users in mind, both as regular users and as admins. Some 45 changes of which the lion share is for the good use from a user perspective.

What we have done less well is to document the new features and how to use them, I give you that, that doesn't mean that the new features are unnecessary, that there are glitches etc, it just means we have developed our software in close cooperation with our users and it always takes a little time to get used to new features.

There is no reason that some themes block formatting. There should be transparent "rules" for use of photographs. At this point, it's a guessing game. I increased the sizes of photos in the admin panel and all photos that had been displayed stopped being displayed. These sorts of things need to be fixed.

When asking for support, it's always a good choice to mention certain things, such as what Theme you use, perhaps a link to your website where the problems have occured and sometimes also a screenshot, when necessary. You do nothing of that, you mention your problems not giving people a chance to investigate any further due to the lack of information. Your chances of getting good support increases the more details you provide.

Another important aspect is feedback, did you solve the problems, if so, how did you solve them etc? This is an Open Source project we provide for free and the more and better people participate, the better we become, the lot of us.

The features are fine, once you waste considerable time figuring out what is going on.

I think that you have a somewhat disappointing view of looking at things, since when is learning new things a "waste"? I prefer to look at it as an investment.

Sadly I'm not skilled enough technically to solve any problems you may have, but you don't provide that much information for the more skilled to go by either, so...

It's an artform to give and take criticism, I guess one we could all get better at.
Yeah, yeah, but I'm a user not a techie. I've tried to participate in forums over the past several years, but after admins on this site rudely dismissed a friend (with very little tech knowledge) who was trying to get his site up and running (after I recommended Fusion, but now doesn't use it), I've been a bit less patient. Sorry, but my work is overwhelmingly stressful and weird things happening on my sites pushes me over the edge. I don't want to offend anyone and I'm sorry if I did.

Basically, I thought i had an hour to upgrade and it ended up being closer to 30 hours.

What I did to for the problems I had -- starting from the beginning...

1. My attempt to upgrade failed. My attempts to install 7.00 from scratch failed. It turned out that my university's server changed permissions or something, so that the site was not able to be accessed (even to do the initial set-up). My university does not support any PHP/MySQL application, so I have to go in the back door and beg. The changes were made, but I don't understand exactly what they were.

2. I set-up 7.00 and ran the restore back-up routines. This put most of the content and members information back up. However, all articles were in the wrong categories and the photo album had the text for albums and photos, but no photos. I could not go to albums and try to reload the photos, even though they were all in the images/photo album folder.

3. The formatting of my original articles did not work entirely. Paragraphs, font size, headings, and block quotes did not work. I finally tried changing the theme from Phos to two or three other themes, before finding that Gillette worked with all of my html tags.

4. The photo gallery had to be scratched and redone from the beginning. However, at one point, I remembered that I had increased the size limits on photos in the admin panel. When I changed these, no photos anywhere worked. When I set the sized back down again, they worked. I still don't understand why this would happen. No changes were made to the photos.

5. I've also had problems deleting photos (through an FTP connection), since I still for some reason have ownership. This problem is particularly evident when trying to delete multiple image files, but not so much with one file. Again, I'm clueless.

So, at this point. all problems have been solved :), but I'm real hesitant to upgrade my other two sites :|.
Are you using some kind of pubic_html folder in your university account or so? Sometimes the chmods get reset to default when writing to files in those folders. You have to chmod the writeable folders and files to 777 or 755 and the other files to 644

Phos should work fine if you are using proper xhtml. deprecated tags like <font size=x... are of course problematic. use <span style='font-size: xy[unit];'> instead with unit being em, ex %, cm, px or pt.
Thread Information
Author
Replies
15 posts
Views
2,757 times
Last Post
Last updated on 12 years ago
You can view all discussion threads in this forum.
You cannot set up a bounty in this discussion thread.
You can start a new discussion thread in this forum.
You cannot reply in this discussion thread.
You cannot start on a poll in this forum.
You cannot upload attachments in this forum.
You can download attachments in this forum.
You cannot up or down-vote on the post in this discussion thread.
Users who participated in discussion: KEFF, Matonor, Joe Kriz, Christian, jeffbloom, hame, elbertvan