Oh no! Where's the JavaScript?
Your Web browser does not have JavaScript enabled or does not support JavaScript. Please enable JavaScript on your Web browser to properly view this Web site, or upgrade to a Web browser that does support JavaScript.
Sign In
Not a member yet? Click here to register.

Registration and other issues

Print Track
I recently upgraded one of my test sites from a new 7.02.07 site to 8.00.21 site and I thought everything was going well and there are no errors in the error log. I then realized that I cannot register anyone as it keeps giving me an error message that the activation email could not be sent and I should contact the administrator.

Another issue that I noticed that after I added a news item, there is a display above the news item that shows the information shown in the attached screen shot after I have logged out as the admin.
afoster attached the following image:

6 replies

Usually, SMTP issues has to do with ISP/Host. You might need a new port and/or they require authentication.
The info you see is welcome panel, perhaps you have it set as Guests only?, check your panels, content of that is found under main settings.
afoster has replied to this - 4 months ago
Maybe a new PHP version changed your encryption method. In PF 8 a updated phpmailer is used.

See includes/classes/phpmailer/smtp.php lines 390
afoster has replied to this - 4 months ago

douwe_yntema wrote:

@douwe_yntema - Maybe a new PHP version changed your encryption method. In PF 8 a updated phpmailer is used.

See includes/classes/phpmailer/smtp.php lines 390

In my file it is at line 393, but I am using php version 5.63 so I don't think this would be applicable.

CodeDownload  
//PHP 5.6.7 dropped inclusion of TLS 1.1 and 1.2 in STREAM_CRYPTO_METHOD_TLS_CLIENT
 //so add them back in manually if we can
 if (defined('STREAM_CRYPTO_METHOD_TLSv1_2_CLIENT')) {
 $crypto_method |= STREAM_CRYPTO_METHOD_TLSv1_2_CLIENT;
 $crypto_method |= STREAM_CRYPTO_METHOD_TLSv1_1_CLIENT;
 }

Falk wrote:

@Falk - Usually, SMTP issues has to do with ISP/Host. You might need a new port and/or they require authentication.
The info you see is welcome panel, perhaps you have it set as Guests only?, check your panels, content of that is found under main settings.

Removing the smtp info sent the activation email and got me registered and I could log in after activating the account. As for the other issue, the Online Recipes panel is not the welcome panel, it is a news posting which shows the information displayed in the screen shot I posted in my original post. I have other php-fusion sites using version 8.00.21 that were installed from scratch that don't show the information displayed. Is this perhaps something left over from 7.02.07?

Is this perhaps something left over from 7.02.07?

Yeah, it is nothing we added.
No, but it has todo with the php-version.
Lower php version do not have new encryption method used with modern mailservers.

You do not support PF7 anymore, but you also should not support php<5.6
author afoster
forumUpgrading issues - 8
replies7 posts
viewed243 times
activeLast updated on 4 months ago
You can view all discussion threads in this forum.
You cannot set up a bounty in this discussion thread.
You can start a new discussion thread in this forum.
You cannot reply in this discussion thread.
You cannot start on a poll in this forum.
You cannot upload attachments in this forum.
You can download attachments in this forum.
You cannot up or down-vote on the post in this discussion thread.
Users who participated in discussion: Falk, afoster, douwe_yntema