Oh no! Where's the JavaScript?
Your Web browser does not have JavaScript enabled or does not support JavaScript. Please enable JavaScript on your Web browser to properly view this Web site, or upgrade to a Web browser that does support JavaScript.
Sign In
Not a member yet? Click here to register.

Clean install of PHP-F V8.00.21 vs upgrade from v7.02.07

I would like to ask all you experts for input/guidance on an idea I have to get my PHP-Fusion site working cleanly again. I had been on v7.02.07 and have installed v7 specific infusions, a few core code tweaks here and there, etc., and now v8.00.21 is running fine except for the errors here and there that I deduce is from those v7 code tweaks and some infusions that aren't playing 100% well with v8. My error log subsequently always has errors logged. I'm not a coder so don't know how to walk back many of the logged errors to come to a fix.

That said, I'm thinking only based on deductive logic and by no means using any deep coding or d/b knowledge. What I want to do is a full database backup. Then delete the v7 install completely saving the config.php settings. Do a fresh v8.00.21 install. Then reapply the original config.php settings followed by d/b restore from the backups. I figure the v8 tables and such will be the same as the tables that restore from backups plus anything new that v8 brings which won't impact anything moving forward, so should work. Any previous v7 tweaks and infusions will be gone but that's what I want so I can "re-baseline" the site.

In truth, will it work? Or will I just end up destroying my site? Will it work but introduce complex fixing requirements to get it to work right?
That should work, a solid plan for a clean setup !
Thanks for the nod, I'm more confident about doing it now.
Hi Songiuno, keep us posted how it go. Thanks
What about the utf-8 conversion of the database?
Perhaps you can do it afterwards.

In v7 & was stored as & in the database
In v8 & is stored as & in the database

This tiny difference gave me a headache making the RSS feeds on an upgraded v7 site to v8 valid again.

Wanabo wrote:

@Wanabo - What about the utf-8 conversion of the database?
Perhaps you can do it afterwards.

In v7 & was stored as & in the database
In v8 & is stored as & in the database

This tiny difference gave me a headache making the RSS feeds on an upgraded v7 site to v8 valid again.

My intention of a clean v8 install is, after backing up my database, I would delete the database and delete all the v7 installation on my server. Then install v8 as if my site never existed, from scratch, using the settings from my v7 config.php to let the v8 install rebuild the SQL tables... utf-8 conversion included in that. When done, I imagine a fully installed and functioning and EMPTY v8.00.21 site. Then I restore from the v7 backups to restore the entire contents of the site.

Is there a flaw in that concept?
Thread Information
Author
Replies
6 posts
Views
374 times
Last Post
Last updated on 4 months ago
You can view all discussion threads in this forum.
You cannot set up a bounty in this discussion thread.
You can start a new discussion thread in this forum.
You cannot reply in this discussion thread.
You cannot start on a poll in this forum.
You cannot upload attachments in this forum.
You can download attachments in this forum.
You cannot up or down-vote on the post in this discussion thread.
Users who participated in discussion: Falk, songiuno, Wanabo, Rudios