Oh no! Where's the JavaScript?
Your Web browser does not have JavaScript enabled or does not support JavaScript. Please enable JavaScript on your Web browser to properly view this Web site, or upgrade to a Web browser that does support JavaScript.
Sign In
Not a member yet? Click here to register.

New User Registration Broken after Upgrading to 9.03 from 7.03

Hello everyone,
I have upgraded the following site: https://www.arosworld.org from PHP-Fusion 7.03 to 9.03 a few months ago. All seems to work fine but the new user registration does not seem to work at all. I have verified the SMTP settings and have tried several variations. The settings in there are correct and I have also verified them via www.smtper.net. Auth credentials, port, host name are all correct. I am able to establish an SMTP connection and send a test emails with the settings in place (Note: this was working fine before on version 7.03).

Now for some reason when a new user tries to request an account, when they click on Register, nothing happens, the page just refreshes back to the new user registration form. No error is displayed that I can see. Nothing. No email is sent and no account is created from what i can search in the user management.

Any idea?? I have been down for months and users are unable to register. Login with current accounts works, at least with mine.

Please help! Try logging in yourself to test.
Heya, nice site there !

So let´s start looking at ADMIN > SYSTEM ADMIN > ERROR LOG , See if you have anything in there.
Double check so that the registration system is enabled, ADMIN > SETTINGS > REGISTRATION SETTINGS
Also try to disable the Display validation code? , if you have an outdated verification system.
You can switch the verification under ADMIN > SETTINGS > SECURITY SETTINGS ( Captcha ), if you use an old one it can cause issues.

Heya, nice site there !

So let´s start looking at ADMIN > SYSTEM ADMIN > ERROR LOG , See if you have anything in there.
Double check so that the registration system is enabled, ADMIN > SETTINGS > REGISTRATION SETTINGS
Also try to disable the Display validation code? , if you have an outdated verification system.
You can switch the verification under ADMIN > SETTINGS > SECURITY SETTINGS ( Captcha ), if you use an old one it can cause issues.

Hi Falk,

Thank you for your reply. You were correct about the captcha messing things up. During the upgrade, there were leftover files from old captcha options. I cleaned the files under \includes\captcha and re-uploaded the newer files again. I started having different errors such as email was not sent, etc. I changed the account for the SMTP connection and I managed to register one account as it was intended to be registered but using the secure image v3 option.
I decided to use the grecaptcha and things stopped working. I generated new site key and site code from google (version 3) but I am back to square one. If I use the secure image it does the same friggin thing, if I use the recaptcha, it shows error: ERROR for site owner: Invalid key type.

Changed back to secure image v3 and this is error: Undefined index: recaptcha_type
echo form_select('recaptcha_type', $locale['grecaptcha_0103'], $settings['recaptcha_type'], [
Line 192 -- 29 seconds ago
Undefined index: recaptcha_type
Turned off the validation code and now it just flashes the same way back to the user registration with no errors, or anything. No errors in the error log.
Looks like grecaptcha is not working with version 3. Recreated the keys for version 2 checkbox and the recaptcha error went away. Checkbox back.
Registration was still not working. Re-entered the credentials the way I had them working before but still nothing. Tried to test the registration checks by typing the password wrong in the second field to see if it would detect it and it did.
Re-typed correctly and the user registration worked. This is one of the most annoying part of this CMS. It seems to be very temperamental??

TO the developers out there: Please include an email test option in the admin settings under miscellaneous where the SMTP settings are. It would be nice to check them before trying to guess what the problem is at user registration.
The user registration now seems to work OK. I upgraded to 9.03.60

Is there any reason why this shows up in my error logs? Posting replies in my Forums seems to trigger the error in the attached image.

Also the reply to forum threads seem to only work sporadically. Most times, just flashes the screen
amigamia attached the following image:
screenshot_2020-06-09_11-14-17.png
Perhaps you have some old user_fields enabled from v7?
I think I do because when I try to add some fields that were missing in the user profile, it shows that are already there but do not know how to correct this. Deleting them from the database is going to delete some information that users had already stored.

user_location for example, is already in the database table fusionBJPV5_users but is not in User Fields. If I try to add it I get this (Attached). How can I reconnect without creating the same over again?
amigamia attached the following image:
screenshot_2020-06-12_13-22-31.png
Hi, modify as necessary the commented parts. Upload to your root directory. Run the file.

modify.php

CodeDownload  
<?php
require_once __DIR__."/maincore.php";
require_once THEMES."templates/header.php";

$data = array(
 "field_title" => 'a:1:{s:7:"English";s:8:"Location";}',
 "field_name" => "user_location",
 "field_cat" => "1", // or set the category where the field should be placed
 "field_type" => "location", // dynamics type, or if you have a UF_Location module, use "file" instead,
 "field_order" => 1,
 "field_section" => "public"
);
if (iSUPERADMIN) {
 dbquery_insert(DB_USER_FIELDS, $data, "save");
}

require_once THEMES."templates/footer.php";

Thanks Chan,

I ran it but I am not sure if that helped much. There are other issues due to customizations that were done in the past with infusions and many other errors in the error log that popped up here and there. The strangest thing is posting reply in forums while logged in as standard member, I have to click post reply at least 3 (sometimes more) times before it actually posts the reply. The first, the second click on "Post Reply" does nothing but just refreshing the screen.

To isolate all the issues and in an effort to start fresh, I installed a fresh new php-fusion 9.03.60 on a separate web server. Created new database and all. Setup a test forum and created a standard member account besides the Admin. To my surprise the same exact problem is replicated. The first click on "Post reply" does not work most of the time. I have to click 2 or 3 times minimal for the reply post to work.

At this point it is not my website setup but a probable fundamental issue with php-fusion 9.03.60. Please try it yourself and see if it makes sense to you. In the mean time I plan on starting a fresh new php-fusion and import at least the users table so I won't lose that but I am debating to use version 8 or 9.
Check your Settings under Admin > Security > Form Tokens and increase these to 5-10.

Check your Settings under Admin > Security > Form Tokens and increase these to 5-10.

Great! Thanks Falk. That seems to do the trick on post reply but if I post and then I edit it to delete the post, It does the same thing. Screen just flashes back but nothing happens. Sometimes it deletes the post after 3, 4 clicks other times the flooding system blocks me because of the many attempts.

BTW: Shoutbox also has a problem on my brand new install. Standard member cannot post in shoutbox. Page just flashes back but nothing happens. I have the form tokens set to 10.
OK so I found out what is causing the screen to just refresh and not post anything. Flood auto ban.

By default auto ban is on and the interval is 15 seconds. I turned off the auto ban and I get a better response to wait for 15 seconds if I try to post twice in less than 15. But when I ave the auto ban on, no warning is displayed and it just refreshes the screen looking like an issue.

So I think I got a good point now for a complete new setup and an import of user tables, forums threads and a couple of other things.
So I have one last thing to check. I installed a new set of files for 9.03.70 and dropped the old database tables. Performed a new install and just imported the tables for users, forums, news, messages, and images. All seems to work fine except one strange thing:
-> A standard member forgets the password, the reset password at the login page can be used.
-> The pass gets reset to a auto-generated one and it gets emailed.
-> Member logs in with the temp password but when member tries to change it again by editing the profile settings, the change never happens and the screen flashes back to main page and logged out.
-> In short, a member cannot change the password to a personal pass by editing the profile.

No errors in the log file
Thread Information
Author
Replies
14 posts
Views
432 times
Last Post
Last updated on 16 days ago
You can view all discussion threads in this forum.
You cannot set up a bounty in this discussion thread.
You can start a new discussion thread in this forum.
You cannot reply in this discussion thread.
You cannot start on a poll in this forum.
You cannot upload attachments in this forum.
You can download attachments in this forum.
You cannot up or down-vote on the post in this discussion thread.
Users who participated in discussion: Falk, Chan, amigamia